Improve reading comprehension in your classroom with our Matariki Reading Comprehension Passages and questions. This pack includes six non-fiction and Maori Myth and Legends (Pūrākau). Four of these contain passages with six pages of engaging text-dependent questions and higher-order thinking tasks. This resource also includes two sets of activities based on popular Matariki storybooks.
Learn more about the history of Matariki, how Matariki is celebrated today, the nine stars of Matariki, and a popular Māori myth based on the Matariki star cluster.
In this Matariki Reading Comprehension Passages and Activities pack you will receive:
1. SIX Matariki-themed texts:
a) Four texts – all with an extended and scaffold version:
– What is Matariki? – UPDATED
– Matariki Today – UPDATED
– Te Iwa o Matariki – The Nine Stars of Matariki – NEW
– The Eyes of Tāwhirimātea myth – UPDATED
b) Two sets of Higher Order Thinking Activities based on the following stories:
– Daniel’s Matariki Feast by Rebecca Beyer and Linley Wellington (great for lower readers)
– The Seven Stars of Matariki by Toni Rolleston-Cummins
Please note: You will need a copy of these stories to complete the activities. They are widely available in public libraries and are highly likely in your school library. *These two stories are at a lower reading level, and therefore will be useful in providing differentiated reading in your classroom so that everyone can participate in a Matariki reading focus.*
2. SIX corresponding NO PREP Higher Order Thinking Activities based on Blooms Taxonomy
Reading Comprehension Strategies included:
Find Facts and Details
Identify the main idea
Ask and Answer Questions
This resource is jam-packed with exciting, thought-provoking activities to grab your students’ attention AND hold it. The activities begin at the lower levels of Blooms Taxonomy (Remember, Understand, Apply) and move through to the higher levels (Analyse, Evaluate, Create).
3. Three Graphic Organiser Examples
4. Teacher Answer Key for applicable questions
5. Two ‘Tips For Use’ pages with ways to use this resource in your classroom.
6. Close Reading bookmarks in colour and black and white.
Teachers Like You Say:
- TheMaihiSchoolBus says, “⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Very happy with this purchase. Great stories included – and activities. Thank you for the hard work put into this resource!”
- Andrea B. says, “⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Super resource, planning made easy + my students absolutely loved it! Thank you :-D”
- Bobbie P. says, “⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ My students have really enjoyed using this resource to complement the other learning we are doing about Matariki.”
Rachel W. says, “⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Kia ora! A well researched product. My class loved doing this. Thank you.”