Improve reading comprehension in your classroom with our Maori Myths differentiated close reading passages and questions. This pack includes four Year Five and Six (Grade Four and Five) traditional literature passages with six pages of engaging text-dependent questions and higher-order thinking tasks.
These worksheets are great for your New Zealand reading and US reading programs, as part of a reliever/substitute teacher pack, or as homework tasks. Suitable as an entry point to Polynesian history or the study on myths and legends from around the world.
In this Maori Myths pack you will receive:
1. Four texts – all with an extended and scaffold version:
- The Creation of Night and Day
- Kupe and the Giant Wheke (octopus)
- How Māui Discovered Fire
- Rata and the Totara Tree
2. SIX corresponding NO PREP Higher Order Thinking Activities based on Blooms Taxonomy
Reading Comprehension Strategies included:
- Making Connections
- Find Facts and Details
- Make Inferences
- Identify the main idea
- Ask and Answer Questions
- Compare and Contrast
- Make Predictions
3. Four Graphic Organiser Examples
- Character Map
- Story Map
- Story Plot Mountain
- Flow Diagram
4. Teacher Answer Key for applicable questions
5. Two ‘Tips For Use’ pages with ways to use this resource in your classroom.
6. Close Reading bookmarks.
This resource features BOTH British/NZ and US spelling and paper sizes.
What this Maori Myths resource is all about:
The purpose of this resource is to provide ready-to-go Maori Myth and Legend or Pūrākau passages and engaging higher order thinking questions.
This resource is jam-packed with exciting, thought-provoking activities to grab your students’ attention AND hold it. The activities begin at the lower levels of Blooms Taxonomy (Remember, Understand, Apply) and move through to the higher levels (Analyze, Evaluate, Create).
- Hayley M. says, “⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Another excellent resource to use. Love how it is easily adaptable in the classroom.”
- John M. says, “⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ This is excellent! What a great resource :)”
- Tanith G. says, “⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ This is amazing. Thank you for an absolutely incredible resource!”