Blast off into space while improving reading comprehension with The Solar System Reading Comprehension activities. This activity pack includes SEVEN Grade Five and Six (Year Five and Six) informational non-fiction passages with six pages of unique and engaging text-dependent questions and higher-order thinking tasks.
These activities are great for your guided reading program, or as homework tasks. Integrate these activities into your history and/or social studies projects! These link closely to the CCSS and New Zealand’s Literacy Progressions and Curriculum.
In The Solar System Reading Comprehension pack you will receive:
1. Seven texts – all with an extended and scaffold version:
- The Solar System
- The Sun
- Mercury, Venus and Earth
- Mars, Jupiter and Saturn
- Uranus and Neptune
- Is Pluto a Planet?
- The First Moon Landing
2. SIX corresponding NO PREP Higher Order Thinking Activities – that’s 42 activities in total.
Each passage features different activities!
Reading Comprehension Strategies included:
- Find Facts and Details
- Make Inferences
- Identify the Main Idea
- Ask and Answer Questions
- Compare and Contrast
- Make Predictions
- Make Connections
3. Three Graphic Organizer Examples
- Information Web
- Main Idea
- Venn Diagram
4. Teacher Answer Key for applicable questions.
5. Two ‘Tips For Use’ pages with ways to use this resource in your classroom.
6. Close Reading bookmarks.
***When you download this resource, it comes in both US AND British English spellings and printing sizes.***