This pack includes three Te Reo Snakes and Ladders Game Boards (ngā nākahi me ngā arawhata). These boards feature 117 te reo Māori high-frequency sight words. Help your students build their sight word fluency while also engaging them in this fun game.
Sight word recognition improves reading fluency, allowing the student to focus their efforts on the more mentally demanding task of reading comprehension.
Both colour and black and white game boards are included.
Your students can play this game for homework, during guided reading lessons, as a literacy circle activity or as an early finisher activity.
In this Te Reo Snakes and Ladders resource you will receive:
1. Three Sight Word Snakes and Ladders Boards
Red: Words 1-38
Yellow: Words 39-76
Blue: 76-100 + Numbers and Days of the Week
2. Superhero counters to laminate and cut out for use with the game.
3. Information sheets with a pronunciation guide and links to Te Aho Arataki Marau mō te Ako I Te Reo Māori – Hura Auraki/Curriculum Guidelines for Teaching and Learning Te Reo Māori in English-medium Schools: Year 1-13
The words included in this resource are:
a) The 100 most frequent words in te reo Māori:
- The list of sight words used in this resource is from:
- http://tereomaori.tki.org.nz/Teacher-tools/Te-Whakaipurangi-Rauemi/High-frequency-word-lists. This list has been used with permission.
b) Ngā nama tuatahi/Numbers to Ten:
tahi, rua, toru, whā, rima, ono, whitu, waru, iwa, tekau
c) Ngā Rā o te Wiki/Days of the week:
Rāhina, Rātū, Rāapa, Rāpare, Rāmere, Rāhoroi, Rātapu