Dive deep into New Zealand’s collective history with our New Zealand History Time Travel Adventure. Imagine your students have been taken in a time machine back in time. To get back to the present day they need to complete tasks and collect mosaic tiles. Once their mosaic tile is complete, they can use the time machine to get home.
Along the way, they read 18 current (2014-2019) Level Two School Journals and learn about interesting parts of New Zealand history. They complete activities that promote higher-order thinking and the use of reading comprehension strategies.
In this New Zealand History Time Travel Adventure pack you will receive:
18 Level Two School Journal Lesson Plans
- A detailed lesson plan for each journal article or story. You can use this as a guide or follow it step by step during your guided reading session.
18 Sets of Follow Up Reading Activities
- A table that highlights the journal name, the article or story name, the reading and thinking skills included in the follow-up activities and the name of the creative activity that is included.Two follow up activities for each journal article or story.
- The first activity includes Remember, Understand, Apply, and Evaluate higher-order thinking skills and a range of reading comprehension skills including finding specific information, making inferences, making connections, using prior knowledge, summarising, using evidence, and sharing opinions. Do all or some of the activities.
- The second activity is creative and involves the synthesizing of information and the higher-order thinking skills of analysing and creating.
- A full set of answer guides.
Setting the Scene resources
- A Setting the Scene document AND PowerPoint presentation to hook the students into the activities.
- This includes a ”How it works” page that explains the resource though a simple visual flow chart.
- A black and white mosaic template for each student to complete.
- A coloured mosaic template to show the finished mosaic design.
- 18 coloured tile pieces for students to cut out and glue onto their black and white mosaic template.
- You can either do this individually (yes, it is a bit fiddly and requires some photocopying) or as a whole class mosaic, enlarged to A3 size. I get it, this step is fiddly, but worth it!).
Reading Comprehension and Writing Strategies included:
- Make Connections
- Make Inferences
- Find Specific Details
- Ask and Answer Questions
- Understand and Use Vocabulary
- Compare and Contrast
- Share an Opinion
- Persuasive, Report and Narrative Writing
Powered by Embed YouTube Video