Australian Geography and Landmarks Unit
or 6 weekly interest-free payments from NZ$2.50 with what's this?
Our Australian Geography and Landmarks Unit helps you to explore Australia with your students. This resource integrates reading, writing and social studies, so it can be used throughout your day.
We have also included information, where appropriate, about the history of each state and urban areas, including how the area was used by indigenous groups in the past.
This unit directly links to the Year 3 HASS – Geography section of the Australian Curriculum:
The representation of Australia as states and territories and as Countries/Places of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples; and major places in Australia, both natural and human (ACHASSK066)
Use these activities with individuals, pairs, small groups or your entire class.
In our Australian Geography and Landmarks Unit you will receive:
An Australian States map puzzle
- Eight fact cards
- New South Wales
- Western Australia
- South Australia
- Northern Territory
Eight puzzle pieces with a range of activities
Australian Urban Areas Fact Cards and Follow Up Activities
19 fact cards based on Australian cities and towns
- Alice Springs
- Port Headlands
- These fact cards include QR codes that can be scanned to reveal further visual information about the location.
- 19 follow up activity postcards
These feature cloze reading, find specific details and summarising activities, which make this resource easily differentiated.
Australian Iconic Landmarks Research Skills Activities
- 18 research skills postcards based on iconic Australian landmarks
- We have included 16 of these landmarks, such as the Sydney Harbour Bridge, Uluru (Ayers Rock), Great Barrier Reef, Australian War Memorial, Mount Kosciuszko, The Bungle Bungle Ranges, Lake Hilliers, and the Shrine of Remembrance.
- Students take part in independent research and share their findings on the provided postcards.
- If you have a landmark you would like added, please let us know and we can add this!
- This activity could be used with the whole class or with early finishers.
Answers are provided where applicable.
Additional web links are provided about each urban centre.
Tips for Use information sheets to get the most out of this resource.
You May Also Like:
New Zealand Geography and Kiwiana Unit
This resource is a DIGITAL resource and will be sent after purchase via email.
Melissa Messenger (verified owner) –
I really love this resource. It is great when it is on the wall and the students can review all the information about Australia. It does take a bit of time and patience to colour and cut, but it is worth every minute.