Go paperless with our New Zealand Explorers Digital WebQuest resource and dive deep into this important part of New Zealand’s collective history. Learn about Māui fishing up New Zealand, Pacific explorers such as Kupe, European explorers Tasman and Cook, the significance of navigator Tupaia, early meetings, violence and conflict between Māori and Europeans, and how these events have been commemorated.
Powered by Embed YouTube Video
This Google Slides resource includes 18 topics that weave through Aotearoa exploration, and 33 interactive, higher-order thinking follow up tasks. Students hunt for information in the web links provided and use this information to complete the engaging activities.
British English is used throughout this resource e.g. colour. Use this resource on Chromebooks, iPads, Android Tablets, and other devices! This resource would also be suitable for Year, Five, Year Six, Year Seven and Eight learners.
In this New Zealand Explorers Digital WebQuest resource you will receive:
1. 18 topics including web links and interactive activities
- Prior Knowledge
- Maui and the giant fish
- Who was Kupe?
- Waka Hourua
- Polynesian Navigation
- Who was Abel Tasman?
- Who was Captain James Cook?
- Captain Cook Diary Entry
- Who was Tupaia?
- The Endeavour
- Meeting of Māori and Tasman
- Meeting of Māori and Cook
- Painted Hoe Article
- Sixth Sense poem
- Tuia 250 Commemorations
- Celebration or Commemoration Part One and Two
- Where do you come from?
2. 33 unique Higher Order Thinking Activities based on Blooms Taxonomy and including a range of reading comprehension and writing strategies.
Reading Comprehension and Writing Strategies included:
- Make Connections
- Make Inferences
- Find Specific Details
- Organise Information
- Ask and Answer Questions
- Understand and Use Vocabulary
- Compare and Contrast
- Form an Opinion
3. Full instructions on how to set up this Google Slides resource, and how to share it with your students.
4. Tips for using Google Slides for teachers AND students
5. Teacher Answer Key for applicable questions
6. A BONUS guide explaining how to use these Google Slides within the top educational apps including:
- Microsoft One Drive
Why Go Digital and Paperless?
Many classroom are now 1:1, BYOD, or improving the access of technological devices to students. This resource uses these devices to engage and enhance learning!
Further benefits include:
– High student engagement and motivation
– Access and share learning from anywhere
– Build a skill base with 21st-century learning tools
– Save on paper and printing!
– Accessible on a range of devices including Chromebooks, iPads, tablets and more!
Not ready to go paperless yet? Click here to see our paper-based version of this resource.