Hook your sports fans into reading with our engaging Sports Reading Comprehension passages and questions. Sports such as basketball, motor-racing, gymnastics, tennis, golf and soccer are covered! This pack includes SEVEN Year Five and Six (Grade Four and Grade Five) differentiated non-fiction passages with six pages of engaging text-dependent questions and higher-order thinking tasks. These activities are great for your guided reading program, or as homework tasks.
These Sports Stars biographies introduce kids to fantastic sporting heroes from the USA, UK and New Zealand while reinforcing important reading skills. Updated August 2019.
This resource would also be suitable for Year Seven and Eight learners (Grade Six) as the higher order thinking activities will keep them challenged and engaged!
In this Sports Reading Comprehension pack you will receive:
1. SEVEN texts – all with an extended and scaffold version:
- Comparing Tennis Stars (Serena Williams and Andy Murray)
- Steven Adams – A Slam Dunk
- Lydia Ko – A Hole in One
- Michael Phelps – Gold Man
- Simone Biles – Gymnastics Genius
- Cristiano Ronaldo – Soccer Star
- Danica Patrick – Motor-Racing Maverick
2. SIX corresponding NO PREP Higher Order Thinking Activities based on Blooms Taxonomy
Reading Comprehension Strategies included:
- Find Facts and Details
- Make Inferences
- Ask and Answer Questions
- Compare and Contrast
- Identify the main idea
3. Three Graphic Organiser Examples
- Information Web
- Venn Diagram
4. Teacher Answer Key for applicable questions
5. Two ‘Tips For Use’ pages with ways to use this resource in your classroom.
6. Close Reading bookmarks.
When you download this resource, it comes in both US AND British English spellings and printing sizes.