Get your fireworks ready and celebrate the Chinese New Year with our Chinese New Year reading comprehension activities. This activity pack includes THREE Year Five and Six (Grade Four and Grade Five) non-fiction passages with six pages of unique and engaging text-dependent questions and higher-order thinking tasks. Gain context with our bonus Chinese New Year powerpoint.
Chinese New Year 2020 is Saturday, 25th January. This product is updated each year to reflect the differences in dates and the Chinese zodiac animals. 2020 is the Year of the Rat.
These activities are great for your guided reading program, or as homework tasks. Integrate these activities into your history and/or social studies projects! These link closely to the CCSS and New Zealand’s Literacy Progressions and Curriculum.
When you download this resource, it comes in both US AND British English spellings and printing sizes.
This resource would also be suitable for Grade 6 (Year Seven and Eight learners) as the higher order thinking activities will keep them challenged and engaged!
In this Chinese New Year reading comprehension pack you will receive:
1. Three texts – all with an extended and scaffold version:
- What is Chinese New Year?
- Preparing For The New Year.
- Chinese New Year Celebrations
2. SIX corresponding NO PREP Higher Order Thinking Activities
Each passage features different activities!
Reading Comprehension Strategies included:
- Find Facts and Details
- Make Inferences
- Identify the main idea
- Ask and Answer Questions
- Compare and Contrast
- Make Predictions
- Make Connections
3. Four Graphic Organiser Examples
- Information Web
- Main Idea
- Venn Diagram
- Flow Diagram
4. Teacher Answer Key for applicable questions.
5. Two ‘Tips For Use’ pages with ways to use this resource in your classroom.
6. Close Reading bookmarks.
7. An additional PowerPoint slideshow with context photos of Chinese New Year
You May Also Like: