The Dawn Parade is a moving part of ANZAC Day celebrations, and the ‘Dawn Parade’ Anzac Day Shared book captures this brilliantly. We have created 11 supporting activities utilising a range of reading comprehension strategies. Just choose which resources you would like to use and print them out! Perfect to use in the classroom, as an early finisher activity or for homework.
This resource is based on the Shared Reading Ready to Read Big Book titled ‘Dawn Parade”
- Author: Phillipa Werry
- Illustrator: Jennifer Cooper
- This is widely available in primary schools in New Zealand.
This Anzac Day Shared book resource features:
- Anzac Day Prior Knowledge
- Anzac Day Questions
- Dawn Parade Follow Up Questions
- Dawn Parade Flow Diagram
- Dawn Parade Cloze Reading
- Dawn Parade Vocabulary and Word Work
- Anzac Day Symbols
- Anzac Day Dictionary Dive
- Draw Your War Memorial
- Dawn Parade Word Find
- Dawn Parade Summarising
Reading Comprehension Strategies include:
- Find Specific Information
- Make Inferences
- Use Vocabulary
- Ask Questions
- Use Prior Knowledge
- Use Context Clues
- Read for Meaning
- Compare and Contrast
- Make Connections
Aotearoa New Zealand Histories Curriculum Links:
Whakapapa me te whanaungatanga | Culture and identity
- Individuals and communities have responded to international conflicts in a range of ways for a range of reasons.
- How have different groups of people in our community responded to the international conflicts that Aotearoa New Zealand has been involved in? What kinds of jobs were these people doing?