Learn more about Māui, Hatupatu, and Paikea with our differentiated Māori Myths and Legends Shared Reading and Discussion Questions Bundle. This Māori Myth and Legends resource is suitable as an entry point to Polynesian history or a study on myths and legends from around the world.
This shared reading, activities, and discussion question bundle features the following myths (pūrākau):
- Māui and the Sun
- Māui and the Giant Fish
- Hatupatu and the Birdwoman
- Paikea and the Whale
In each Māori Myths and Legends Shared Reading set you will receive:
1. One shared reading discussion passage:
2. Discussion questions including reading comprehension strategies such as summarising, making connections, and finding specific details.
3. Differentiated follow-up activities to dig deeper into the story.
Aotearoa New Zealand Histories Curriculum Links: Whakapapa me te whanaungatanga | Culture and identity
- Māori are tangata whenua. They were the first people of this land and have stories about their origins and arrival.
- What stories do hapū and iwi tell about their origins?